This site is built using some custom software I've been hacking on in my spare time.
My first and foremost goal is to make a site that I wouldn't hate using myself. Flash portfolios and the "lightroom" scripts are popular, but they never quite work right for me, so I didn't use them. I'm trying to add more functionality to the tagging interface... well beyond what other sites feature... so that my image archives are more browsable.
At the same time, I'm using the latest techniques where they can be added unobtrusively.
About my writing
- My blog here, and the rest of the site, is here largely to help me realize several long-term goals in my photography, so I've been taking it fairly seriously of late.
- Most of these articles take shape over time. I tend to add a paragraph here and there until I feel an article is ready to be posted. It's on a private wiki, so I can use the two-finger keyboard on my cellphone to add content while I'm waiting for light to collect while shooting outdoors or snuggled up under the covers before bed just as easily as when I'm sitting in front of my desktop.
- I try to have, at the very least, one post a week.
Some thoughts on moderation
- I do not share email addresses in any way. Mostly it just helps if I want to drop you a private note in response.
- All comments are held for moderation.
- Currently the biggest thing that's causing me to not post stuff is people posting stuff that's too much like a corporate "puff" piece. Advertising costs.
- I don't think it's required that you agree with me if you want to reply.